Skip to main content

Hanging Basket Review Summer 2017

At the start of the summer, I was very excited about the prospect of some spectacular hanging baskets. Last year I have to admit they were beautiful, full of colour and interest right until late September.


Lots of yellows and whites from last year


I had chosen to clash pink petunias to trail down a wall basket, purple and white petunias for a contrast. A wonderful basket showcasing lots of pinks with a hint of white and a bold yellow and orange mix.

However, this summer it did not work out quite as I had planned.


None of the trailing flowers really trailed, the petunias that were meant to tumble did not tumble, in fact, the plants did not really grow very much. The purple one's barely flowered, it left me with lots of pretty white flowers but no purple to contrast against. The  Calibrachoa Cabaret in white, Calibrachoa Goldrush and the Bacopa Snowflake were supposed to gently trail down the side of the baskets, they produced some pretty flowers but again they never really seemed to flourish.

The Purple and White Petunias that never really got going

The trailing flowers that did not trail
However, some of the more unusual flowers I planted worked really well. I am very much a give it a go gardener, I tried Osteospermum which was a lovely bold orange and Argyrantemum in a sunny yellow. With careful deadheading they flowered really well and looked stunning, just the effect I was looking for. The Nemesia called pink ice, wow, this one has flowered for the whole summer and has been reaching for the sky.


We did have some stunning flowers
It has been a bit of a reality check after last year. As you can see we have some real success in the form of nontraditional hanging basket plants.

The traditional plants fared less well, but let's be honest the weather was not kind. Every time we had the torrential rain the plants that were designed to trail were hit hard, as soon as they tried to recover we had more rain. If we had a few sunny days they really perked up, then it would rain hard. I made a massive mistake in thinking because it rained I did not need to water... NO this is not the fact and the poor plants got rather dry.


I will be back again next year with more baskets and plans. Maybe even some spring ones. I want to try and grow some plants from seed as I love Inca Gold which is small trailing sunflowers.


Last years hanging baskets

Comments

  1. I love hanging baskets and intend to give them a good go next spring! x #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can not wait for the spring ones to come along. Lots of time to plan 😂

      Delete
  2. I love hanging baskets, but invariably forget to water them and am left with very sad looking things #blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha the problem with mine too. Not easy is it with busy livesxx

      Delete
  3. Oh I wish I had your green fingers Sarah!!! I love pottering in the garden but am a complete amateur! We lost a few pretty blooms to the torrential rain too; the weather wasn't kind to the garden this summer wa it! You really seem to know your stuff and should be very proud of your results this year!!xx #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am very slowely learning and finding it fun to try bits out. Hope people enjoy the honest approach. The rain was not good this year very damaging

      Delete
  4. I've been totally inspired again, these look so pretty! I've planted some bulbs after seeing your Instagram post, here's hoping I've done them right! Thanks so much for sharing and for co-hosting #Blogstravaganza, it's great to have you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure to co host and fantastic news on the bulb planting xxx

      Delete
  5. They may not have turned out quite as expected but the colours are wonderful! #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking at hanging baskets and I did try them once but all that watering was waaay too much hassle. I'm not really a fan of flowers in my garden at all. Too much maintenance. But I do have some great blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes which smother all the weeds and fill my freezer with berries for the winter. Much more practical lol. #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect to me and produce into the winter. I am rather a fan of a big flowers and lots of colour 😀😀

      Delete
  7. I literally don't have the first clue about gardening (until I had a child), and this year we planted sunflowers which actually turned out really well! These look lovely x #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done as mine were a disaster. It's great when something grows and you have done that x

      Delete
  8. These look so beautiful! I have struggled with our flowers this year - but you have inspired me to keep going with them! #blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the weather did not help us this year and hope we can both have better results next year

      Delete
  9. I keep telling myself that I will try gardening and flower baskets etc but I never get round to it - next year maybe?! #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so pretty and brighten up an area X #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look absolutely beautiful - even the ones that haven't quite gotten going! I keep looking at the empty spaces where I should hang baskets and thinking 'maybe next year' #blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dad always has hanging baskets around the garden but we have none in ours :( they are so pretty #blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep learning and growing different things. #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  14. It wasn't a great summer for delicate flowers this year, was it? I think they still looked really pretty though. #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've just inherited some hanging baskets so thought I'd give them a go next year but I'm hearing you on the watering so will bear that in mind - water retaining pellets? Love the idea of trailing sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am going to try dalefoot compost wool one as its meant to be excellent at water retention in hanging baskets. Maybe worth having a look. Def give it a go xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meal Plan Friday 30th September 2022

 The weather is really starting to turn and we are starting to want some more comfort food. Friday - Pizza as the boys have swimming and we do not have much time Saturday - Sticky Chinese chicken Sunday - Pork medallions with apples and roasts monday - Chicken burgers with cheese and pineapple tuesday - tagaltlli in a cheese sauce with mushrooms and ham wednesday - tuna fishcakes served with green veg and tomato sauce thursday - birthday tea for my middle son of pizza and chips with two friends we will have veggie chilli and rice

Meal Plan Friday 23rd September 2022

 Wow it has been a while but here we are again with the meal plan. Friday - Treat dinner out with friends Saturday - Cesear Salad as Mr MC&W is back from San Fransisco. Tortellini for the boys. Sunday - Spag Bol for us all Monday - Omelettes and Chips for us all Tuesday - Pasta, chopped tomatoes and bacon Wednesday - Fish, mash and peas Thursday - Cajun rice from a pinch of nom

Meal Plan Friday 11th March 2022

 Spring seems to be slowly springing into action. The garden much to my delight is coming back to life with the bulbs planted in the autumn about to come into flower. Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken Saturday - Gammon, Egg and Chips Sunday - Toad in the Hole Monday - Fish, New Potatoes and veggies. Fishcakes for the boys. Tuesday - Chicken Curry Wednesday - Quorn Slices with mash and veggies Thursday - Fajita Pie. Wraps for the boys.