Skip to main content

Ground Elder Battle

My mum has to battle bindweed constantly, the stuff is rife through her garden and she was convinced the moment her back is turned the plant would shoot again. Our garden we have to battle ground elder, it is everywhere and I have had to declare war.

I was informed by Andrew Gardens Weeds and Words that you can make a wonderful pesto using ground elder and I did have an evening considering if I could set up some amazing home business. Selling it from a little stall at the local farmers' markets, maybe even the top restaurants in London would want my homestyle artisan pesto. Then I remembered that I have three boys and can barely find the time to keep us all fed let alone making homemade pesto and taking over the culinary world. 

The smallest front border is so full of it I could barely put the fork into the soil to dig it over. I have started this border now as I want some pots to go along the edge as the soil is so terrible. We considered putting down a membrane but were told it really needed clearing as it would only keep coming back.





















So I set to work, this is a job you can lose yourself in as its just digging and pulling up roots. The sound I came to hate was the snap when the root breaks. I know this means it will grow again, honestly its a very determined plant I must give it that.

These pictures are from just over half an digging and look at the huge amount I managed to pull from one tiny area.





















I am going to have to buy something for my poor knees though they are taking a battering. 

The plan moving forward is to really try and keep on top of this and get it clear as I can. The only way to get rid of it is to keep getting out those roots. I think it will be more autumn time when I can move the pots into place but that means I have plenty of time to think about bulbs and what I can grow as it gets very little sunlight.





Cuddle Fairy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding a Bee with sugar water

Have you ever been in the garden and seen a sad looking bee on the ground not really moving? You watch it for a while realising the poor little chap is really struggling. I have found several bees like this and tried to feed them sugar water. But my attempts to rescue them mainly ended with me trying to drown them, I was really not aiding them during their time of need. But I have finally developed a method that works so I thought I would share.

Mix together white sugar with a little water so that it completely dissolves, RSPB suggests 2 tablespoons of sugar with one tablespoon of water. I used desert spoons but the same ratio. The advice is never to use honey or brown sugar. 

This is what worked for me, move the bee to a paving stone, I used a strong leaf they tend to walk onto it, if not you can easily slide it under them, then drip a small amount of the sugar water in front of the bee. The bee will start to drink the sugar water and you will see it begin to get stronger. It is truly …

Molehill Trouble

Our garden wraps around our house so we have two areas of lawn. The lawn to be honest is pretty terrible, I use the term lawn loosely, I should really be saying our mix of moss, clover and various other weeds that make up the appearance of a lawn. To add to this we have a little friend who keeps popping up.

A mole.

This is the area of lawn just outside the living room in November, these are seriously huge molehills.



I took all the soil I could do off the grass and redistributed on the new border. I then brought some mole bulbs, we used them on the main lawn about five years ago and they worked. When they arrived I set about putting them in the ground.
























The box gives instructions on how to plant the bulbs. I must admit I did not exactly follow these and put them in each corner and then one half way down each side and one in the middle. Meaning I used more than they would say you need.

This is how the lawn looks now....


No more molehills on this piece of lawn. What has been even better i…

Planting LolliPop Trees Elaeagnus ebbingei

I can not believe the day had finally arrived, the trees we had put so much thought into were going to be planted.

We had the conifer and last shrubs removed and the whole area dug over and ready for the arrival of the LolliPop Trees Elaeagnus ebbingei.

Finding Elaeagnus Ebbingei

I was on the school run when they arrived. I walked round into the back garden to see five of the most beautiful trees in huge pots ready to be planted.

Mr MC&W had chatted to the team that the trees need to be the same height despite there being a slight slope.

It was great to see the tape measure out checking the spacing between each one, as this was such a crucial part of the design.

I can not believe how fast they got the first tree in and how polite they were when we suddenly realised it was overhanging the neighbours' boundary. They brought it forward no questions.


All five went in under 4 hours, I honestly do not think we would have one hole dug in that time.
Then they were planted and we could…