Skip to main content

What a difference a day makes

I am sorry for my silence over the last week. We as a family have been through one of the toughest weeks of our lives.
On Wednesday I took OB to see our GP for an emergency appointment, we were worried about him in many ways but the real decider that something was wrong was when he awoke two nights in a row just screaming for water like his life depended on it. I took him to the GP with a heart sinking feeling that my little boy had diabetes, he has lost weight, drinking and weeing all the time, funny smelling breath. I wanted to be wrong maybe he was growing, had a bladder infection I took a sample just in case.
Seeing the doctor when he tested his wee I knew by his face we were not in a good place. He apologised he had to tell me this way but OB had type 1 diabetes, I knew it but the tears just fell and that's when the other side of my brain just took over. Where are we going to, ward name, hospital, what do we need to bring.
Calling your husband in tears to tell him your little boy is diabetic is not easy, understanding me was even harder, a mix of sobs, sniffs and a laugh to try and keep OB calm.
So the family team took off to hospital, mummy, daddy, OB and ATM. When we arrived we seemed to enter a strange whirlwind of events though sometimes the whirlwind just dropped us down and we sat there not quite believing this was real. 
So the four of us troop into the ward, where we re greeted by such a warm welcome we felt instantly safe. The nurses were amazing though they were reeling of numbers to us which mean nothing, to be honest trying to stop ATM from running away while they take OB bloods and vitals is not easy, I grew an expert at listening while a Small child bite into my arm, shoulder etc I nodded and smiled thorough gritted teeth. 
We somehow managed to send a day in the ward, I think most of the time was waiting around for local annasetic cream to work, or to see a consultant who tried to explain diabetes to us while we chased two children around a play area. Time came for OB and I to be transferred to the hospital who could take us over night, we were given a bag of items and paperwork, getting my boy strapped into the ambulance and saying goodbye to my husband and ATM was hard and I suddenly felt very alone.
We arrived at our new hospital, OB slept the whole way, I knew this was not the best start as it was 5.30pm and I felt extremely sick from the ambulance it was like being driven in a boat.
We chose our bed and OB got busy, up and down the corridor in every room, temper tantrums as every exit was sealed, seeing my husband enter the room I have never felt so relieved. It was now gone  8.30 OB was wide awake and we had still not eaten all day. Come 11pm he was still up we took it in turns to walk him up and down. Countless times we were told with his readings he should not be so active, he is defining medical experts. Finally Hubie has to leave, I virtually pin him to the bed and get him to sleep, they check him every two hours I wake every two hours, he is up at the 5.30am check. Oh my it's going to be a long day.
Today we at least manage to eat, we get a DVD player, we bring the iPad and connect it online. We start to learn how to look after our boy, checking his blood doing his injections learning his readings are as bad as they sound. He is asleep it's 9pm. I hear them check his bloods but can not open my eyes, they leave the 5.30'check phew.
Next day a new nurse, new news two diabetes nurses re sick you may not be able to go home, I collapse the thought of keeping him in the ward was too much to deal with. This seems to do the trick, people are coming to see us as they want to get us home. The day passes in a blur of meetings,am dietitian, the consultant,countless injections, visit from the diabetic nurse. Then 7pm we can leave.
We we are taking our boy home both scared we would break him, as he collapsed in his car seat we knew it was right for him no matter how scared we were.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meal Plan Friday 30th September 2022

 The weather is really starting to turn and we are starting to want some more comfort food. Friday - Pizza as the boys have swimming and we do not have much time Saturday - Sticky Chinese chicken Sunday - Pork medallions with apples and roasts monday - Chicken burgers with cheese and pineapple tuesday - tagaltlli in a cheese sauce with mushrooms and ham wednesday - tuna fishcakes served with green veg and tomato sauce thursday - birthday tea for my middle son of pizza and chips with two friends we will have veggie chilli and rice

Meal Plan Friday 23rd September 2022

 Wow it has been a while but here we are again with the meal plan. Friday - Treat dinner out with friends Saturday - Cesear Salad as Mr MC&W is back from San Fransisco. Tortellini for the boys. Sunday - Spag Bol for us all Monday - Omelettes and Chips for us all Tuesday - Pasta, chopped tomatoes and bacon Wednesday - Fish, mash and peas Thursday - Cajun rice from a pinch of nom

Meal Plan Friday 11th March 2022

 Spring seems to be slowly springing into action. The garden much to my delight is coming back to life with the bulbs planted in the autumn about to come into flower. Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken Saturday - Gammon, Egg and Chips Sunday - Toad in the Hole Monday - Fish, New Potatoes and veggies. Fishcakes for the boys. Tuesday - Chicken Curry Wednesday - Quorn Slices with mash and veggies Thursday - Fajita Pie. Wraps for the boys.